Re: [AMBER] compiling parallel on centOS5 - rocks with intel

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 20:45:49 -0400

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Jonathan Gough
<jonathan.d.gough.gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm building it as root, but its in a directory of shared apps, so the
> permissions are globally executable. No worries, I don't do work as root

My suggestion was to not build amber12 as root. IMO, a good rule of thumb
is to only use root to install stuff using package managers (e.g., apt-get,
yum, etc.), or doing some basic computer maintenance/administration. For
Amber, you can change the ownership of /share/apps/amber12 to your user and
build there, so no part of the Amber installation can affect your core OS
inadvertently.

On occasion, some softwares, when compiled from source, can inadvertently
ruin your machine -- a rather viral example involves a package called
bumblebee which accidentally had "rm -fr /usr /lib/nvidia/..." instead of
"rm -fr /usr/lib/nvidia", thereby wiping out the whole /usr directory.

Food for thought -- you're certainly not obligated to follow my advice, and
bombshells like above are exceedingly rare, but may serve as a lesson.

All the best,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate