Re: [AMBER] No C-terminal GLH in aminoct*.in

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 13:27:33 -0400

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Marc van der Kamp
<marcvanderkamp.gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to have a protonated glutamine residue (GLH) at the C-terminus, but
> it turns out that GLH is not defined in (any of the)
> $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/prep/aminoct*.in files.

This doesn't surprise me. GLH is a funky residue IMO. You have 2
carboxylates in close proximity to one another (the side chain and the
C-terminus), why would you only protonate one of them? Why the side-chain
one? I can't imagine any ensemble that is properly characterized by a
C-terminal glutamate in which the terminus is predominantly deprotonated
and the side chain is predominantly protonated...

This is probably worth considering.

> Two questions:
> 1) Has anyone developed parameters (i.e. charges) for this consistent with
> ff99SB or ff12SB?

The parameters should be present.

> 2) If not, would a 'simple' solution, in which I'd just add the atoms in
> analogy to GLU and then manually change the charges similarly to the
> changes between GLU in amino12.in and aminoct12.in, be OK? Or would
> redeveloping the charges (e.g. with RED) be the only appropriate solution?

My approach (and others may disagree here) is that if the changes you would
make by hand are fairly small, there's probably not much need to re-derive
charges. If the charge differences are large, then rederiving may be an
appropriate option, although you'll have to take care to apply
'appropriate' charge constraints for consistency. (hopefully hand-editing
will work).

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida