Re: [AMBER] am1d problem

From: Gabriel Jara <gabriel.fcq.unc.ar.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:21:04 -0300

Dear Dr. Radak,

Thank your answer. I did a test, I optimized a ATP with 2 Mg2+ using AM1D.
In this optimizxation el ATP molecules destroyed. I think you are right,
"ATP could be problematic on its
own."

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

Gabriel

--
Dr. Gabriel E. Jara
Molecular Modeling Laboratory
INQUIMAE - Instituto de Química-Física de Materiales, Ambiente y Energía
DQIAyQF - Departamento de Inorgánica, Analítica y Química-Física
FCEyN - Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales
Universidad de Buenos Aires
Intendente Güiraldes 2160 - Hall 2, 1er piso.
Ciudad Universitaria - C1428EGA
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Tel: +54 11 4576 3378 /79 /80, int. 123
------
Gabriel,
If the method does not converge, then it may simply not be suitable for the
system you want to model. However, there are a lot of things that probably
need to be additionally considered:
1.) The default AM1/d model (AM1/d-PhoT) was not designed for
polyphosphates or nucleobases, as such ATP could be problematic on its
own.  Does it optimize sensibly in the gas phase?
2.) The QM region you describe is quite large, does a smaller system
converge SCF?  The Lysine sidechain in particular bothers me since
AM1/d-PhoT was not parameterized with nitrogen in mind *at all*.
3.) The (default) Mg parameters from Imhof, et al. have NOT been
extensively validated with AM1/d-PhoT.
4.) Perhaps trivial, but have you double checked your charge and link atom
selections?  This probably isn't an issue since other methods converge, but
is usually my first goto when things go badly wrong.
5.) Also possibly trivial, but have you spent a lot of time optimizing the
MM region?  Putting sensible charges (gas phase mulliken perhaps?) and
Lennard-Jones parameters on your QM region and then optimizing should help
immensely if you haven't done that already.
6.) Probably not relevant until you do dynamics, but be sure to use the
QM/MM switching function, as energy is otherwise not well conserved,
especially with d-orbitals.  This is not the default (for backwards
compatibility only).
Brian