Re: [AMBER] Trouble compiling cuda, need help.

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 23:38:45 -0400

On Wed, May 30, 2012, Scott Le Grand wrote:

> FWIW I use Ubuntu 10.04 without incident. Besides thinking Unity was a
> huge step backwards, I'm a luddite when it comes to brand new shinies.
> 12.04 is double plus plus brand new shiny...

The user interface on recent Ubuntu looks ugly to all us old farts, but you
can actually find the terminal application, get lots of instances of it, and
(at least for me) have the same enivironment as on any other Linux system...I
don't use any apps but Firefox and Terminal.

If you need more, you can use linuxmint or cinammon to get old-fashioned type
user interfaces.

I haven't seen the problems Ross refers to. I hope that we can keep up
support for Ubuntu, since it is pretty easy for novices to install (e.g.
windows people just download an application; no virtual machines or dual boot)
and it *is* one of the most popular distributions. I'd encourage people with
Ubuntu problems to post those to the amber-developers list, since others may
have figured out how to get around them.

Of course, not everyone should go this route, and it is good to have people
with experience with CentOS. But I hope that at least some developers stick
with Ubuntu. FWIW, we have had exactly the opposite problems: real pains with
(old) CentOS boxes and everyone in my group is moving to Ubuntu.

....dac