Re: [AMBER] manual prmtop file editing for free energy calculation

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 09:14:55 +1000

Brian made good comments. I will echo his suggestions against manual editing of the prmtop -- I don't manually edit them myself. Parmed was written to do it safely, and it gives you about as much flexibility as you could ask for in modifying the Lennard Jones terms.

Some words of warning: pmemd.cuda will ignore any off-diagonal A/B coefficient changes. It recalculates sigma and epsilon and recombines those when it calculates the Lennard Jones term for each atom pair. Therefore, the only commands that will actually work for pmemd.cuda are addLJType and changeLJSingleType (the changePair commands will not work on GPUs).

Another thing to take care of is that multiple atoms (even different atom types on occasion) have the same atom type index if their original LJ parameters were the same. Therefore, if you use parmed.py to edit the LJ coefficients (or if you modify those sections by hand), you will likely modify more interactions than you want to. In that case, addLJType will allow you to treat only the atoms you want to treat differently. Use printLJTypes to find out which atoms you will affect with any LJ term changes you make. The GUI version xparmed.py gives you a graphical menu to navigate more easily.

Finally, experiment and validate carefully.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate