Re: [AMBER] apply an external force

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 13:46:24 -0400

On Sat, May 12, 2012, ros wrote:

> Your RST file would be something like this:
>
> ### Restraints par 1-34
> &rst
> iat=1,34,
> r1=27,
> r2=27.5,
> r3=27.5,
> r4=28,
> rk2=5.0,
> rk3=5.0,
> /

A few comments:

1. The above file will add a restraint between _atoms_ 1 and 34, not residues
1 and 34.

2. For umbrella sampling, you very probably want a harmonic restraint, so
that you can remove easily it in later analysis. If so, you need to have
r1 << r2 and r4 >> r3, so the system will not leave the harmonic portion
of the restraint space.

3. The original question was a little ambiguous:

> > I need to exert external force between two residue to these two
> > residue separate from each other....
> > I will use umbrella sampling. but I don't know how write dist.RST file?

The use of umbrella sampling is what the above distance restraint could do;
different windows would have varying values of r2=r3. This external (biasing)
potential is rather different that "applying an external force".

....dac