Re: [AMBER] Decoupling of the restrained ligand using Thermodynamic Integration in Amber ?

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 16:38:11 +0200

Hello Thomas,
thanks a lot again for your valuable comments !

Regarding the scaling constant (which "preventively" scale restraints)
when SC pot. are used: 1/lambda versus 1/(1-lambda) maybe it is not
the "full typo" as this is probably dependent on simulated process. For
the ligand "disappearing" scaling constant
is 1/(1-lambda) for the opposite process (appearing) perhaps 1/lambda is
used. This would correspond to the disappearing/appearing
SF-potentials where in case of disappearing multiplicative constant
(1-lambda) is used and in case of appearing it is just lambda.

At the end I would like just to be 100% sure about the technical
realization (in Amber) of the approach which you suggested.

#1 - appearing of the restraints while ligand is fully (vdw/el)
interacting with receptor during this process

Here I would use this approach:

V0 = Receptor + Ligand (in water)
no restraint is applied in V0 ( ifsc=0, scmask='',crgmask='' )
dvdl_norest=0

V1 = Receptor + Ligand (in water)
Ligand is restrained in V1 with target restraints (defined in the RST
file) (ifsc=0, scmask='',crgmask='')
dvdl_norest=0

So this is sipmle the (i) idea of the linear mixing of the original system
V0 (without restrains) and system V1 (with fully
restrained ligand). With growing lambda V0 is transformed into V1. To be
frank I have no other idea here except maybe the (ii) idea
of multiple RST_lambda files with growing force constants, in that case
probably V0 and V1 should be identical: Receptor +
restrained ligand.

Regarding to the first (linear mixing) idea (i) I am just confused with
your comment:

I) activate restraints without softcore and LINEAR mixing of restraint
strength

which suggest that even linear mixing is probably not appropriate here to
introduce smoothly restraints while R fully intercat with L via vdw and
el. potentials.

So please make clear these technical aspects here.

#2 Decoupling (vdw/el) the fully restrained ligand.

Here I would use this setup:

V0 = Receptor + Ligand (in water)
Ligand is restrained in V0 with target restraints (defined in the RST
file) (ifsc=1, scmask=':LIGAND',crgmask='')
dvdl_norest=1

V1 = just Receptor (in water)
( ifsc=1, scmask='',crgmask='' )
dvdl_norest=1

However I am again not sure here as this setup is probably OK from the
point of the decoupling of the ligand but not from the
point of the restraints as the final state of this transformation (V1)
should correspond to noninteracting ligand (vdw/el) but
still present in the system and fully restrained respect to receptor. But
here is also important internal Amber interpretation ...

Anyway the second possibility for V1 might be here:

V1 = Receptor + Ligand (in water) where all the ligand atoms are DUMMY
atoms.
Ligand is restrained in V1 with target restraints (defined in the RST
file) (ifsc=1, scmask=':LIGAND' or scmask='' ???, crgmask='')
dvdl_norest=1

So please clarify also this point.

Once again thanks a lot for your help !

   Best wishes,