Re: [AMBER] strange CUDA benchmark

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 09:50:51 -0700

Hi Albert,

The GTX590s are pretty terrible cards - at least for running jobs in
parallel so I really wouldn't bother. Only run serial jobs on them, two
total, one on each of the GPUs reported by devicequery.

If you are seeing variation in performance for serial GPU runs then it is
likely that other stuff is running on your machine that is interfering. Are
other users on the machine? Do you have other jobs running? Does the machine
run X windows? - If you are running multiple jobs on the same physical GPU
(not card but GPU - a GTX590 card has 2 GPUs) then you will likely see
massive performance degredation.

You might also have issues if you are writing to a remote file system (over
NFS for example) but this is normally not so large a variation. The factors
of '2' in the numbers you quote (27 ca= 28, 14, 7) suggests to me that you
are running more than one process on a single GPU.

Unfortunately without more specific details of how your machine is setup,
what is running, some output from top etc it is difficult to offer more
suggestions.

All the best
Ross