Re: [AMBER] Calculate the volume of a protein from the trajectory

From: Tyler Luchko <tluchko.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:07:52 -0500

George's suggestion is the partial molar volume and this can also be calculate with 3D-RISM directly from your trajectory. For a recent example see

Awile et al. Intrinsically disordered regions may lower the hydration free energy in proteins: a case study of nudix hydrolase in the bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans. PLoS Comp Biol (2010) vol. 6 (7) pp. e1000854
http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000854

You will need to strip out the solvent from your trajectory and prmtop. After this you can use rism3d.snglpnt to run 3D-RISM on every frame of your trajectory. See $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/test/nab/Run.rism_sp for an example. If you are using pure water, you can use the Xvv file from the example. If you need salt, let me know and I can provide a suitable input file.

Tyler

On 2012-02-28, at 9:30 AM, George M Giambasu wrote:

> You can build a system that contains the same number of waters (and
> ions) as your protein simulation, compute its average volume and
> subtract it from the protein simulation average volume.
>
> g.
>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if there is a command in AMBER to calculate the volume of a
>>> protein from the trajectory. Specifically, I want to calculate the average
>>> volume of the protein from the last 10 ns trajectory. Any suggestions on
>>> this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your help,
>>> Surasak

Tyler Luchko
Postdoctoral Associate