Re: [AMBER] How to create a script to add two integers in bash

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:16:00 -0500

Math in general is tricky (to say the least) in bash. You certainly don't
want to do any kind of heavy-duty maths in bash, but for simple stuff the
"bc" program is a good solution (that's how I do all my bash-maths).

Something like this:

# increment j:

j=`echo "$j + 1" | bc`

# add 3 and 2
k=`echo "3+2" | bc`
echo $k

HTH,
Jason

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM, shenna shearin <smsheari.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am learning how to write scripts using Linux. I want to know how to
> create a script to add two integers. Thanks.
> --
> Shenna Shearin
> Ph.D candidate
> Department of Computational Science & Engineering,
> North Carolina A & T State University
> Greensboro, NC 27411

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida