Re: [AMBER] Any references on studying energy landscape of a protein by AMBER

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:23:24 -0500

What do you mean "energy landscape"? The full "energy landscape" is a
massive beast ([3N-6]-dimensional, where N is the number of atoms), which
is impossible to visualize in 2 or 3 dimensions. The best you can do to
look at an "energy landscape" is to define some kind of coordinate or order
parameter or a combination of 2 of these (e.g. radius of gyration, RMSd, a
distance between two atoms/groups of atoms, an angle between 3 atoms, etc.)
and look at the free energy surface of those coordinates/parameters
averaged over every other degree of freedom (a so-called potential of mean
force, or PMF).

There are a number of ways of generating these PMFs, like steered MD with
Jarzynsky's equation, umbrella sampling coupled with WHAM to name a few.
 There is a section of the Amber manual devoted to free energy calculations
along with associated references. That is probably a good place to start.

HTH,
Jason

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Catein Catherine <askamber23.hotmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> Any reference on the use of AMBER to study the energy landscape of a
> protein structure?
> In addition to AMBER, do we need additional software to do the energy
> landscape calculation?
> Best regards,
> Catherine

Quantum Theory Project,