Re: [AMBER] Problems in ions in Amber11

From: TAEJIN KIM <liquidhelium4k.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:23:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi InSuk

Thank you for your comments regarding to my question.
I have few more questions about your answer.
First, number of ions is determined from the water box volume. For example, 113 NaCl ions gives me 0.3M salt concentration based on the water box volume, which is generated from "solvatebox mol TIP3PBOX 12.0 0.832".

Now, if I put ions first (neutral ions, 113 Na+ and Cl-, each), and then solvate system with "solvatebox mol TIP3PBOX 12.0 0.832", the water box becomes too big and therefore, salt concentration drops to 0.07M.

If I use smallest water box with "solvatebox mol TIP3PBOX 0.1 0.832", it still gives me big water box and low salt concentration (0.12M).
Above all, big water box also causes to take longer MD simulation time.

Therefore, if we solvate system after we put ions, Amber11 looks like building too big water box and we can not obtain desired salt concentration.

So, is there any way we can let Amber11 (leap) know what is water box size limitation when we put ions around solute?

Thank you.

                                                                                TJ