Re: [AMBER] Adjusting density

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:53:06 -0500

As a supplement to Brian's email, I don't think it's really feasible to
"fix" the density to be a value __other__ than the natural density of that
particular water model. If you enlarge the box (because you need to make
your system "less" dense), then you will get vacuum bubbles, which is
probably not what you want. If you shrink the box, as Brian said, things
will get messy. You'll have water molecules that don't even exist in the
central unit cell, but which exist elsewhere (not good!). Any attempt to
find the "minimum image distance" will almost certainly place them directly
on top of an existing water molecule, which will likely cause your system
to blow up.

I don't see any way of forcing the density to be something "unnatural" for
your particular water model short of adjusting the external pressure and
letting the barostat adjust your density -- and very large changes in
pressure are needed to effect small changes in densities. My suggestion
would be to research the available water models and choose the one that
matches the densities you wish to obtain.

HTH,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida