Re: [AMBER] Gas Phase Simulations in PMEMD

From: Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 00:21:43 -0500

I have another follow-up question about faking gas-phase in pmemd (for the
purpose of being able to use CUDA acceleration in case anyone wondered why
one would bother). I can easily change the periodic box size and the
nonbonded cutoff such that I have "full nonbonded" calculations, and I can
also change the PME grid spacing so that the PME portion of the
calculations takes little time (since it is not needed with the full
nonbonded calculations). But what if, as I think may often be the case,
the gas-phase system has a net charge which cannot be reasonably
neutralized? Now the PME will cause problems due to the charged images
surrounding the system.

Is there a way to use pmemd but "fake" the PME? I noticed there is a PME
coefficient, would setting this to 0 effectively case the PME forces to be
null? If that coefficient doesn't do that, is there any way to allow the
PME calculation, but have the forces reduced to 0 or not be applied at all?

Thanks,

~Aron

Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student