Re: [AMBER] i7 extreme for Amber GPU computing?

From: Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:14:33 -0500

Actually the NAMD double precision thing is not entirely true. I also
thought that initially, but what in fact happens is that the GPU performs
all the individiaul non-bonded force calculations in single precision, and
then the summation is done in double precision.

Personally I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both NAMD and
AMBER, but I suppose it depends largely on what questions you are trying to
answer. In either case though, a fast CPU with a GTX580 will produce
excellent results for a moderate price.

~Aron

Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student