Re: [AMBER] free energy calculation: turn off the VDW interaction between ligand and protein

From: bxiong <bxiong.mail.shcnc.ac.cn>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:31:32 +0800

Dear Dr. Steinbrecher,

Thank you so much for this very helpful discussion. I think this question would be occured in many others free energy study.

Now let me make my question clear.
You told me in last email:

>Amber's softcore TI
>implementation requires a setup e.g. like this:
>
>pmrtop V0: Protein+Ligand+Solvent
>prmtop V1: Protein+Solvent
>
>so the end state system prmtop does not contain the ligand. Since you run
>the calculation using groupsander on both prmtops, your ligand will still
>be 'there' at lambda=1, but it will not interact with anything else (but
>maintains its internal potentials).

So this set up still no ligand in V1 state. Can you kindly explain why you think still maintains ligand internal potentials? I thought this ligand internal potential was perturbated to none. Am I wrong?

Another question is about dvdl_norest, in this kind free energy calculation, we usually need restraint the ligand around origin position ( in protein binding site). So I thought we need set this parameter to no. But how to correct this restraint later on?

Thank you very very much for this helpful discussion!

Best wishes,

Bing