Re: [AMBER] studying the pH-dependent stability of a "large" homodimeric protein

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:18:27 -0500

Hi Jan-Philip

Wow, you are expecting a web site to be up to date ! ;-)

Sorry about that...

We have a couple of papers under review regarding changes in
conformation coupled to pH changes. This is an interesting area, and we
are finding it to be quite challenging and not clear in the field at all.

Basically, when you have two different conformations whose equilibrium
depends on pH, then the pKa for the important residues in each
conformation MUST be different. Hence, while you can measure a 'pKa' as
the midpoint in a titration curve, that result is most likely a sign of
the conformational transition and NOT of the protonation change.

We have succeeded in seeing things like you mention by running MD at
constant pH for a pH where a dimer is stable. Then we 'jump' the pH to a
value where it is unstable, and you see changes. We have seen this in
the ~50 ns MD range, with implicit solvent.

You do not see a full unbinding of the dimer, but you clearly see
instabilities.

The 'correct' way to do this is to do umbrella sampling for instance
versus monomer separation, using the protonation states at both pHs. You
should see two very different profiles in that case, but it is a lot of
work.

As for the replica pH, etc, we will have it all released for Amber12,
and it will have BOTH temperature replicas (with each replica at the
same constant pH) AND tru ph-replica, where each replica has a different pH.

Contact me directly if you have more questions pelase.

Adrian

--
                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                                  Professor