Re: [AMBER] single -step transformation TI calculation

From: Victor Ma <victordsmagift.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:43:31 -0600

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM, <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > ifce=1, ifsc=0, crgmask='',scmask=':REF.A1',
> > ifce=1, ifsc=0, crgmask='',scmask=':NEW.B1',
> >
> > or
> >
> > ifce=1, ifsc=0, crgmask='',scmask=':REF',
> > ifce=1, ifsc=0, crgmask='',scmask=':NEW',
>
> hm, I am suprised this did work at all. scmask has no effect when ifsc=0.
>
> You are mixing two things here: You switch off the SC potential, but still
> (apparently) use two different structures. The only way this could work in
> my opinion is if REF and NEW have the same number, order and starting
> position of atoms. Since scmask is ignored you are effectively changing
> whatever differences there are in your systems all in one go. These two
> ways are therefore the same calculation, run twice. Otherwise, if your
> systems have different atom numbers, it would probably be bad that this
> ran at all without error message...

That's very true. All atoms in the two structures have the exact same
number, order and starting positions. I tried this approach because I
thought in my case soft-core function is not a must (i have the same number
of atoms in both states). Though I am getting reasonable results out of it
but the rms values seem too large (very likely because of the stability
issue you mentioned below). So I guess for a single-step transformation,
the soft-core potential is probably still preferred even for the same
number of atoms.

Thanks a lot!!

Victor