Re: [AMBER] Order of ff99SB and GLYCAM when using xleap

From: Lachele Foley (Lists) <"Lachele>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:04:28 -0500

I know the source of the differences now. They are relatively minor
in terms of effect, but of course it is good to know for certain.

As I mentioned in another post, we are working on updating the
parameter sets to make parameter set mixing easier. Some of the
traditional ways we've done things don't work so well now, so we're
changing them.

The main difference in energies you saw was due to the fact that some
glycans contain n-acetyl groups (e.g., GlcNAc). An equivalent
sequence of atoms also occurs in each peptide backbone plane. To
maintain planarity around the NAc nitrogen in a carbohydrate
environment, however, a slightly higher force constant is needed than
what is provided in the protein force fields.

Traditionally, improper dihedrals like this have been written with
wild-cards. That is, one can be pretty sure that anything around atom
type "N" needs to be planar. For this reason, the improper is written
as "X -X -N -H ". So, when the glycam force field was loaded second,
the higher glycam dihedral force constant was applied to all
situations containing atom type N bound to type H. When 99SB was
loaded first, its constant was applied everywhere.

I'm working on an update to the Glycam parm set that does away with
wild cards. Instead, all impropers will be stated explicitly. I'm
still testing it, but it seems to work. This will make ordering far
less of an issue.

The other difference you saw was in the force constant and equilibrium
value for the C-N-H angle, also associated with atom sequences similar
to the peptide plane. For whatever reason, Glycam is still using the
parm94 values for that. This probably would not have caused major
problems -- that angle would merely have bent a little more easily.
The energies would differ a little, but the basic behavior should be
the same. However, I am testing the current glycam force field with
those values changed to the parm99 values. I don't expect significant
differences.

In all of these simulations, the total energy isn't necessarily
physically meaningful. The energy differences, however, should give
physically meaningful values. In those cases, it is most important to
be consistent. That is, if you load 99SB then GLYCAM for some
simulations, load them the same way for all simulations that will be
compared to each other.

In the file that you sent me the glycans are simple -- just mannose.
So, it doesn't matter a lot. But, to be as true as possible to the
99SB force field, in *this* case, it would be better to load Glycam
first then 99SB. If you have a different system, for example
containing a GlcNAc or a Neu5Ac, etc., things change. Like I said,
I'm working on a parameter set that will make those easier. In this
new set, the top file that would be generated for your system (not
necessarily another) will be identical to the one generated if you
load Glycam first then 99SB.

You are probably also concerned about the differing number of dihedral
parameters in the top file. That is ok, too. When leap generates a
top file, it tries to conserve space. So, if it finds two sets of
parameters that are identical, it only records those once, and just
has all relevant sets of atoms reference the one set. When Glycam was
loaded second, the saved parameters had one more unique set. So,
that's fine.

I'll send a separate announcement out in a day or so once I get the
new param set in shape.

:-) Lachele
Lachele Foley
CCRC/UGA