Re: [AMBER] Units/Typos in MDL file format

From: Tyler Luchko <tluchko.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:23:40 -0500

On 2011-12-12, at 6:49 AM, Daniel Sindhikara wrote:

> Hi,
> Two issues tripped me up recently with regards to MDL format. I wonder if
> we could clarify them in the AMBER manual.
> First:
> The "CHG" Flag says:
>
> %FLAG CHG
> %FORMAT(5e16.8)
>
> REAL*8(NSITE) Partial charge for each solvent site (e).
> But I believe it has to be multiplied by 18.2223.

Thanks for catching this oversight. The manual for the next release will clarify this point.

> Also,
>
> %FLAG LJSIGMA
>
> %FORMAT(5e16.8)
>
> REAL*8(NSITE) Lennard-Jones rmin/2(σ ∗/2) for each solvent site (Å). Note
> that this is not σ .
> Can we rename this variable? Maybe LJRMIN. You could see how this could
> cause problems.

Yes, this is a known issue and addressed in the manual. I agree that the wording is not as clear as it should be and have updated the description. A new version of this file format will be released in the future to address this unfortunate misnaming and add some flexibility.

Thank you for your input,

Tyler

Tyler Luchko
Postdoctoral Associate