Re: [AMBER] TI in Amber and the TUTORIAL A9

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 22:48:18 +0100

Hello Thomas,
thanks again for your comments !

Meanwhile I read your interesting article which you recommended:

"Nonlinear scaling schemes for Lennard-Jones interactions in free energy
calculations"

discussing/comparing different ways how to prevent from the start/end
singularities
when particles are vdw coupled/decoupled with/from the rest of the system.
Unfortunately
I didn't find there any part directly related to our discussion.
I checked also several other TI articles but never find some real basics
preferentially
illustrated with some very simple concrete example.

As after your last email I had suspicion that my interpretation of TI is
not
fully correct. I create very simple example with just 3 particles where
one is going
to be uncharged during TI run using the simple linear mixing schema
(please see attached TI.ppt).

On the first slide there is explained my original understanding (probably
not the right one
where V is interpreted just as the potential of unique-common pairs). On
the second slide I
tried to described the whole uncharging process considering V as the total
el. potential.

The both interpretations gives the same expression for the total
lambda-dependend el. energy and it's lambda derivative
(so there is really just difference in V interpretation). But after all I
am still not sure if
any of that interpretations are OK as for example the need for two sander
threads remain unclear
to me considering my actual understanding of how this uncharging process
might be realized
in practice.

Please check it and or correct directly in given ppt document or just
comment in email.
I think it is just the only way how to be able to "speak the same
language" ...

Thank you very much in advance !

   Best wishes,

       Marek