Re: [AMBER] constant pressure

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:28:17 -0800

Yes, those messages are alright.

To tell you the truth, in normal systems, these are totally unnecessary.
My typical protocol is to heat to 300K immediately after energy
minimization. However, your system seems very unstable. So, I just want to
be extra cautious.

Please change

nstlim=200000, ntx=7, ntc=2, iwrap=1,

Let's do it step-by-step. Let the system continue from the one you just
finished for 100 ps at 50K. After that, we can raise the temperature to
300K.

The key here is to have ntc=2. This is necessary since you are using
water. The typical water models, SPC, SPCE, TIP3P, TIP4P, etc., were all
designed with fixed bond lengths. Therefore, if you do not use ntc=2, you
actually use wrong water models. And, because the hydrogen atoms in
SPC/SPCE/TIP3P/TIP4P have no van der Waals radius, if you set ntc=1, bond
would be the only force that prevents them from moving too close to
another negatively charged atom (an ion, for instance). This energy
barrier is small and works only at low temperature and very small time
step. When you set ntc=2, you use van der Waals energy of the oxygens to
prevent the water hydrogen from moving too close to a negatively charged
atom.

--
Yong Duan, Ph.D, Professor
UC Davis Genome Center and