Re: [AMBER] bashrc problems

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:31:40 -0700

Hi James and Other AMBER Users,

I think it is our opinion as developers, and others can chime in here, that
one should NOT add $AMBERHOME/bin to the path. This can be dangerous since
we don't choose executable names to be unique etc. Thus you could
accidentally run the wrong command by mistake. It also means you might be
running an older version of the code without realizing it if you don’t check
what's in the path. A similar problem occurs with Gaussian that uses the
name 'gv' for Gaussview that clashes with ghostview for example.

My suggestion would be that ALL amber command should be run with the
$AMBERHOME/bin prefix. That is you would do:

$AMBERHOME/bin/xleap
$AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.cuda

etc. That way if you echo $AMBERHOME before you start you won't get any
surprises later about running the wrong version by mistake etc. I think this
is good discipline to have when doing scientific research.

All the best
Ross