Re: [AMBER] AMBER/sander parallel performance problem

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:29:10 -0700

Hi Jyh,

Unfortunately what you are seeing makes perfect sense. Consider what you are
describing here. You have 48 cores in a single node sharing, I assume, a
single QDR infiniband connection. This means each core has 1/48th of the QDR
bandwidth to itself. The problem is that people often try to save money by
maximizing the number of cores in a node but do not scale the interconnect
appropriately. With 48 cores in a single node you really want 4 or so QDR
cards per node. QDR is typically used with nodes with 8 or 12 cores maximum
per node in which case each individual core has IB bandwidth of 4 to 6 times
what you have in your system.

So, at least for sander you are almost certainly locked to a single node
unless you leave a bunch of cores idle on the node. E.g. try running 16
threads with 8 per node, or 32 threads with 8 per node (4 nodes) and I bet
you see better performance.

A few additional things to note:

1) sander is unlikely to scale much beyond 64 cores and then only with
decent interconnect between them. So 8 nodes by 8 cores per node will
probably work here but 48 cores per node = no way.

2) sander uses a binary tree when the core count is a power of 2 otherwise
it switches to a less efficient algorithm. The net result, as printed in the
output file, is that you can expect better performance when the core count
is a power of 2. Thus I suspect that 32 cores on 1 node (leaving 16 cores
idle) will give you better performance than using 48. You may even find
using 64 cores as 2 nodes by 32 cores each may show some speedup.

3) You are advised to use PMEMD if it supports the simulation you are
running. This is better optimized for parallel and will probably scale much
better. It also does not have the power of 2 core limitation that sander
has. So try this. Note though that it too will still get choked by the fact
the interconnect is not balanced for the number of cores in a node so you
may need to leave cores idle in order to obtain best performance. E.g. try
using just 16 or 32 cores per node.

In summary, use PMEMD if you can and unfortunately you cannot expect
miracles if you build hopelessly unbalanced machines. You should also run
some benchmarks for each of the simulations you wish to run since parallel
performance will be VERY dependent on the simulation you are running. Larger
simulations typically scale better. Finally consider leaving a bunch of
cores idle on each of your machines and you might get better overall
performance. E.g. 4 nodes by 32 cores per node (128 cores) will probably
outperform 4 nodes by 48 cores per node (192 cores).

Good luck,
Ross