Re: [AMBER] alpha 2-3 Sialyllactose in GLYCAM

From: Oliver Grant <olivercgrant.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:57:27 +0100

Hi Mish,

At physiological pH the carboxylate group will have a negative charge which
will be shared between the two oxygens. It is common to represent the
structure as (COOH) with all the valencies filled but in solution that
proton will come off. Again it is common to represent that as O=C-O with a
negative charge on the right hand side oxygen but really that charge is
shared between the two oxygens. It's called resonance hybridization. The
double bond you see is probably put there by whatever visualizer/builder you
are using.

Oliver