Re: [AMBER] CHARMM in AMBER

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:05:26 -0400

Ross,

You are right; I was misattributing CHARMM behavior to CHAMBER.

Brian

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> > As for the small epsilons on hydrogen, they were a modification to
> > avoid
> > oxygens and hydrogens from overlapping in a "Coulomb catastrophe." I
> > guess
> > it would seem that algorithmic improvements would preclude this from
> > happening in modern software (maybe not in Monte Carlo simulations?)?
> > The
> > modification does constitute a fundamentally different model in the
> > literature:
> >
> > Neria, E., Fischer, S., and Karplus, M. J. Phys. Chem. 1996, 105, 1902.
> >
> > Maybe this should be mentioned in the AMBER manual?
>
> I'm not entirely sure why this should be mentioned in the AMBER manual. The
> AMBER force fields, setup through LEAP, will use the original TIP3P
> implementation (with no VDW on the H's) as far as I am aware and therefore
> relate directly to the original published TIP3P. Please let me know if I am
> mistaken here. It is the CHARMM model that is different in that they added
> small VDW to the H's when implementing TIP3P within charmm.
>
> Note though that if you use CHAMBER to convert a charmm psf containing a
> TIP3P solvated system to AMBER you will get the 'CHARMM' version of TIP3P
> since it will convert the parameters directly from the psf.
>
> All the best
> Ross
>
> /\
> \/
> |\oss Walker

> | Assistant Research Professor |
> | San Diego Supercomputer Center |
> | Adjunct Assistant Professor |
> | Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry |
> | University of California San Diego |
> | NVIDIA Fellow |
> | http://www.rosswalker.co.uk | http://www.wmd-lab.org/ |
> | Tel: +1 858 822 0854 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
>
> Note: Electronic Mail is not secure, has no guarantee of delivery, may not
> be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.

================================ Current Address =======================
 Brian Radak                                             :     BioMaPS
Institute for Quantitative Biology
 PhD candidate - York Research Group       :     Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities         :     Wright-Rieman Hall 101
 Graduate Program in Chemical Physics     :     610 Taylor Road,
 Department of Chemistry                          :     Piscataway, NJ
08854-8066
 radak004.umn.edu                                 :
radakb.biomaps.rutgers.edu