Re: [AMBER] Periodicity in MD simulations

From: Ignacio J. General <ijgeneral.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:09:17 -0400

Dear Oliver,

I am not sure if I would say that you have a problem of periodicity.
To make my point, let me make a huge simplification to your case.
Let's say that your system consists of a spring, whose energy has been
minimized; in other words, it is in its equilibrium length. If you now
apply a force to it, it will start to oscillate with a given period.
But if you now go back to the minimized spring and apply a different
force, it will again start to oscillate with the same period! That is,
of course, because the period is a function of the spring constant and
its mass, not of the force (or initial velocity) you apply.

So, if you start with the same minimized structure, I think I would
expect a potential energy plot like the one you attached, with
approximately the same frequencies but different amplitudes. In order
not to see that, you should start with different initial structures,
in which case the frequency will still be the same, but the plots of
each case will be displaced, so they won't appear correlated.

Ignacio