Re: [AMBER] Restrained MD

From: Ozen, Aysegul <Aysegul.Ozen.umassmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:44:58 -0400

a few questions come to mind-

- how strong is the real-world binding of the peptide?

Unfortunately, we don’t have experimental data on Kd but my guess would be the protease-substrate complex is not a long-lived state. Yet I wouldn’t expect to see dissociation in 20 ns.

- are all of the heavy atoms well determined in your initial structure?

The initial structure is a 1.6 A x-ray structure. The electron density is very clear for all the heavy atoms except for 5 residues. But those 5 residues are very far away from the binding site (22 A) and are solvent-exposed. The temperature factors are also low for the residues around the binding site including the peptide.

- are there any uncertainties about protonation states?

I assigned the protonation states using the program Epik from Schrodinger.

- is it possible that your equilibration protocol was not gentle enough?

Here’s my minimization/equilibration protocol:

Added the hydrogens, did a restrained minimization, where all the heavy atoms are restrained with a harmonic weight of 1000 kcal/mol/A2 in vacuum non-periodic boundary conditions until the maximum gradient fell below 0.1 kcal/mol/A. Further relaxed the hydrogens by 1000 steps of steepest descent minimization.

Added waters and counterions, did 1000 steps of steepest descent energy minimization with a restraint of 1000 kcal/mol/A2 on the nonhydrogen atoms of the protease-substrate complex.

Optimized the positions of the side chains for 250 steps of steepest descent minimization followed by 4750 steps of conjugate gradient minimization. During this process, the backbone nonhydrogen atoms were restrained by a harmonic weight of 1000 kcal/mol/A2.

The restraint on the protein backbone was gradually decreased (500, 125, 25 kcal/mol/A2), each time for 250 cycles of steepest descent followed by 4750 cycles of conjugate gradient minimization.

Finally the whole system was relaxed for 5000 cycles (250 cycles of steepest descent and 4750 cycles of conjugate gradient) or until the threshold of 0.01 kcal/mol/A2 was reached.

Heated the system gradually in NVT from 50K to 300K over 50 ps with a time step of 0.001 psec with a 10 kcal/mol/A2 restraint on the heavy atoms.

Followed MD in the NPT without any harmonic restraints.

I'd appreciate any comments on my protocol.

with regard to your question, you can use restraints where the enzyme is in
the "fitmask" and the peptide is in the "rmsmask" and it will best-fit the
enzyme and keep the peptide in the same location relative to the enzyme as
it was at the start. check the manual for details.

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand I have two options: (1) targeted MD keeping initial and final the peptide location same relative to the enzyme and (2) steered MD (as suggested by Dmitry Nilov) applying harmonic restraint on the distance between substrate and binding site residues.

Is it reasonable to expect both to give the same conformational ensemble for the complex given that the simulation is long enough?

Thanks!
Aysegul

- how strong is the real-world binding of the peptide?
- are all of the heavy atoms well determined in your initial structure?
- are there any uncertainties about protonation states?
- is it possible that your equilibration protocol was not gentle enough?

with regard to your question, you can use restraints where the enzyme is in
the "fitmask" and the peptide is in the "rmsmask" and it will best-fit the
enzyme and keep the peptide in the same location relative to the enzyme as
it was at the start. check the manual for details.