Re: [AMBER] DNA simulation

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 00:30:55 -0600

Hello,

I have a couple comments here: First, you are relaxing the system while
constraining the DNA (I'm guessing that's the residues you chose) for only 2
ns. Is that the same protocol that was used in the paper you're trying to
reproduce?

>From what I've heard, the equilibration needs to be careful so that the
solvent adapts an acceptable configuration before you release the DNA to
move around at will. Also, make sure that the solvent box is large enough
-- I think nucleic acid simulations are particularly sensitive to small
boxes (which would make sense given the amount of charge involved with
typical nucleic acid systems). A real DNA/RNA guru would have to chime in
here.

Lastly, the restraints that you're using for the heating process are very
excessive in my opinion. A force constant of 500 is incredibly stiff, and
gives rise to very high-frequency motions that require a small time step to
properly integrate. A force constant of ~5-10 is also very stiff, will have
the same effect in terms of keeping the DNA fixed, but will allow for a
larger time step (and a more efficient solvent reorganization). Note that
the above does not apply for a minimization.

HTH,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida