Re: [AMBER] /bin/sh /bin/dash

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 08:11:21 +0200

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As the OP of this advice, I'll say this:  I think this was a fairly old
> post.  Indeed, the dash startup time is 'significantly' shorter than bash,
> or so I've been told (which is the reason it was made the default /bin/sh in
> Ubuntu).  However, I've never seen any real difference since switching over
> to bash (or since switching back to dash).
>
> That said, #!/bin/sh was used explicitly instead of /bin/bash in Amber
> because we wanted to avoid requiring bash in obscure systems (in the spirit
> of generality). However, bash allows a lot of syntax that is not strictly
> POSIX-compliant.  Since most systems that I've come into contact with (most
> Linux distros, Mac, and Cygwin) use bash as the default /bin/sh, bash is
> typically the shell used to debug/validate any shell script.
>
> An effort has been made to rewrite the non-POSIX compliant parts of the
> Amber-distributed scripts so that it'll work with (hopefully) any valid
> /bin/sh (meaning, in practice, that developers using Ubuntu get it to work
> with dash).  Later AmberTools distributions (i.e. 1.4, 1.5 and Amber 11)
> *should* be dash-compliant such that this advice is no longer necessary, but
> I don't think these issues were worth considering "bugs" worthy of a patch
> in Amber10/AmberTools 1.2.
>
> Also, as I recall, Amber was not the only package to make this mistake; so
> part of the reason I suggested this approach was to solve related issues in
> other comp. chem. packages other users would try to install.

As a matter of fact, while using debian wheezy amd64, I was able to
use antechamber in ambertoools1.2 by pointing (temporarily) sh to
bash. Thanks.

As to ambertools1.5, I am waiting until compilation with cgg/fortran
4.6 is made available. Currently, as I posted, it is not possible (nor
with ambertools1.2; in fact I copied to wheezy an installation of
amber10 in previous debian lenny amd64.

francesco pietra