[AMBER] saving the first solvent shell molecules by Ptraj

From: Zhu Tong <z5476t4508.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:24:21 +0800

Dear Amber users,

I am attempt to save the first solvent shell waters by Ptraj.
First I used the watershell command to count the number of waters within
4 angstroms of the solute. the input file is :

trajin prod.mdcrd 1 1000 200
watershell :1-76 test.out lower 4.0

and the output file is

then I used the closest command to retain only the closest 348 waters to
the solute, the input file is:

trajin prod3.mdcrd 1 1000 200
closestwater 348 :1-76
trajout test_pdb pdb

and the Ptraj was successfully done:

   \-/
   -/- PTRAJ: a utility for processing trajectory files
   /-\
   \-/ Version: "AMBER 11.0 integrated" (4/2010)
   -/- Executable is: "/apps/amber11/exe/ptraj"
   /-\ Running on 1 processor(s)
   \-/ Residue labels:

  MET GLN ILE PHE VAL LYS THR LEU THR GLY
  LYS THR ILE THR LEU GLU VAL GLU PRO SER
  ASP THR ILE GLU ASN VAL LYS ALA LYS ILE
  GLN ASP LYS GLU GLY ILE PRO PRO ASP GLN
  GLN ARG LEU ILE PHE ALA GLY LYS GLN LEU
  GLU ASP GLY ARG THR LEU SER ASP TYR ASN
  ILE GLN LYS GLU SER THR LEU HIE LEU VAL
  LEU ARG LEU ARG GLY GLY WAT WAT WAT WAT
  WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT
  WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT

  Setting box to be an exact truncated octahedron, angle is 109.471221

PTRAJ: Processing input from "STDIN" ...

PTRAJ: trajin prod.mdcrd 1 1000 200
   Checking coordinates: prod1.mdcrd
Rank: 0 Atoms: 15238 FrameSize: 370309 TitleSize: 81 NumBox: 3 Seekable 1

PTRAJ: closestwater 348 :1-76
Mask [:1-76] represents 1231 atoms

PTRAJ: trajout test_pdb pdb
   prod.mdcrd: 1000 frames.

PTRAJ: Successfully read the input file.
        Coordinate processing will occur on 5 frames.
        Summary of I/O and actions follows:

INPUT COORDINATE FILES
   File (prod.mdcrd) is an AMBER trajectory (with box info) with 1000
sets (processing only 5)

OUTPUT COORDINATE FILE
   File (test_pdb) is a PDB file

ACTIONS
   1> CLOSESTWATERS: saving the 348 closest solvent molecules around
atoms :1-76
       The current solvent mask is :77-4745

Processing AMBER trajectory file prod.mdcrd

PTRAJ: Successfully read in 5 sets and processed 5 sets.

Dumping accumulated results (if any)

However, when I check the output structure by VMD, I found there are a
lot of waters which are far very far from the solute. Could you tell me
where I have slipped up ?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Tong Zhu

--
Tong Zhu
State Key Laboratory of Precision Spectroscopy,