Re: [AMBER] About difference between Sander and Pmemd

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:48:20 -0600

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Bin Wu <wubin2002.gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I am pretty sure that my simulation results obtained from Sander and Pmemd
> are different. The evident difference would be the bond breaking phenomena
> in Pmemd which are absent in the case of Sander.

Bonds can't *really* break. They can _appear_ to break due to some
visualization artifacts (see Bob's discussion regarding wrapping, etc.), but
they can't actually break. Since there can be such a large discrepancy
between what is actually happening and what appears to be happening, we'd
need more than just a description of what is (or simply appears to be)
happening.

Also, you can never compare 2 long simulations (even 2 long pmemd
simulations with the same random seed and starting points) due to the
dynamic load balancing that will cause simulations to diverge. The best you
can do is compare ensemble properties, and check to make sure that these are
consistent.

HTH,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,