Re: [AMBER] Estimation of free energy of solvation ?

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Marek,

> But this is not my case. Having significant part of molecule hydrophobic
> there is significant change
> in molecular structure upon it's solvation so the change in internal
> energy (EL., VDW, bond ...) is not
> negligible comparing to solvent-solute part.

I see... For that system, using MMPBSA makes sense of course. What I was
trying to say before is, if your molecule changes shape a lot during
solvation, it is quite likely that the forcefield will not give you a good
conformational ensemble for the vacuum state, to give just one example,
partial charges are derived specifically for the solvated system.

Kind Regards,

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher
formerly at the