Re: [AMBER] Interpreting the distance covariance matrix

From: Sergio R Aragon <aragons.sfsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:16:28 +0000

Hello Sajeewa,

Following up on what Mariano Rech has told you, from 22 carbons atoms you would generate a matrix of distances containing 22^2 = 484 numbers. The number of off-diagonal elements for this symmetric matrix is (484-22)/2 = 231. This is equivalent to the formula n(n-1)/2 that Mariano used. Thus we would believe you have 231 different numbers. That is not at all the same as saying you have a 231 x 231 matrix (that would yield 231^2 = 53 361 numbers!). How many numbers do you actually have?

Cheers,

Sergio Aragon