Re: [AMBER] How to use perl to replace number to txt?

From: Hannes Loeffler <Hannes.Loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:19:11 +0100

Hi Catherine,

I don't really think that this mailing list is the right place to
discuss Perl basics. There are ample beginner tutorials out there.
It might be a good idea to read through some of them.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:48:48 +0800
Catein Catherine <askamber23.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I was trying to use perl to do amber analysis. One of my task is to
> replace the (number 1 to 100) to a txt (xxx).
> I was using the following command line in perl.
>
> s/1...100/xxx/g

This will replace a string starting with 1, followed with three
arbitrary characters, followed by the string '100' with the string
'xxx' for every occurence of the input.

You will need to learn at least the basics of regular expressions if
you want to use the substitution mechanism.

> However, the program seems to have problem reading [1...100], as it
> only change 1 to xxx.
> I tried to specifiy the 1...100 as follows
>
> s/1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,..../xxx/g

This replaces the string '1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,' followed by four
arbitrary characters.

> However, this time, only 1 to 10 was changed to xxxx. The 10 was
> changed to xxx0, 11, was changed to xxxxxx. It seems to me that perl
> read 10 as 1 + 0, 11 as 1 + 0.

You are obviously operating on strings and not numbers.

> Could you mind to give me a hand how
> to overcome this problem? Are there any easier way of doing this?

Without knowing the input it is difficult to give a general answer.
Regular expressions may not be the right answer. You may have to
split the input manually and treat numbers as such.

Cheers,
Hannes.