Re: [AMBER] Keep getting LINMIN error. Not sure how to progress.

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:32:14 -0700

I'll chime in with my comments here as well.

Have you seen this? http://ambermd.org/Questions/linmin.html

The issue with a linmin failure is that the minimizer couldn't find the
appropriate direction to move the system in order to reduce the total
energy. The xmin minimizer is much better than the builtin one. To use
this, set ntmin=3. See the manual for more details.

Note that if you're just trying to relax your structure in order to start
dynamics, you structure *should* be good enough by the time you hit a linmin
failure to just start running. I would only advocate using xmin if what you
*really* needed was a minimization as close as possible to a local minimum.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida