Re: [AMBER] AMD Opteron system - compiling pmemd with intel or gfortran?

From: Sergio R Aragon <aragons.sfsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 23:42:19 +0000

Hi Ilyas,

On an AMD Opteron system the architecture specific compilers from the Portland Group (PGI) will probably do much better than the generic gfortran. You may want to benchmark that option. I use Opteron exclusively with PGI compilers and in my systems pmemd runs faster than sander.mpi. The only caveat is that I do not run this comparison across a network, but only within a multicore CPU - I don't have fast network interconnects so I avoid that. I use MPICH2. PGI compilers are not free, unfortunately. Since one can't compile amber -static (to load all libraries), I can't send you the compiled pmemd and sander.MPI from my PGI compiled AMBER 10 because it won't run on your system w/o the PGI libraries. However, the following should be possible to achieve a benchmark. Go to the PGI web site and download their software with a trial license. Then you can compile, benchmark and if things are good you can decide to buy.

Cheers, Sergio

Sergio Aragon
Professor of Chemistry
SFSU