Re: [AMBER] positive GBtot value

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:33:23 -0700

Hello,

This is a very strange calculation. If I understand what you're trying to
do, you have a periodic box of water that you then apply MM/PBSA to,
treating the box of water as the receptor and glucose molecule as the
ligand. I don't think the Delta GBtot means what you think it means here.
It's going to be, roughly, the solvation energy of a box of water with the
glucose inside minus the solvation energy of the glucose molecule by itself
minus the solvation energy of the box of water without the glucose.

>From your email, it seems that you expect to get something like the
solvation energy of the glucose from this simulation, which is not what you
get here. If the model worked perfectly (which it obviously doesn't), I
would expect this approach to give you a "binding" energy in this case of 0,
since you're effectively calculating the free energy of taking a glucose
molecule out of water (explicit box) and putting it into water (implicit
continuum). However, using only a single trajectory gives you a water
trajectory with a small cavity where the glucose molecule was with the water
molecules aligned for its presence (so you will get some electrostatic
clashes arising from the lack of the glucose's point charge distribution).
I'd bet that you'd get closer to 0 if you used a separate trajectory for
just the pure water (same number of water molecules, obviously).

Your results make sense to me, but I don't think you're addressing the
problem you'd like to ask.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,