Re: [AMBER] NVT Vs NPT

From: Mahmoud Soliman <mahmoudelkot.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:36:43 +0200

   Dear Jason,
   Thanks for the precious information so far. It actually helps!
   Best wishes
   Mahmoud
   On 3/16/11 6:49 PM, Jason Swails wrote:

Hello,

I'll share my opinion, which may differ from others. NPT is very useful for
equilibrating density, and can relieve artifacts arising due to the fact
that the system may not have been optimally packed to begin with (which is
the case for tleap-created systems). If you do not run with NPT at all (and
just NVT), then you wind up bubbles appear as the water retracts into its
*normal* density in the liquid phase.

Thus, during equilibration, NPT is quite useful to maintain a constant
density and let the box reduce to the "proper" size for the number of
solvent molecules in your system. However, NPT is more expensive than NVT
because the pressure scaling is not free. Therefore, many people use NVT
after they've equilibrated at NPT. Solvent (i.e. water) is largely
incompressible, so NVT and NPT are, for all intents and purposes, equivalent
(for an equilibrated system).

Hope this helps,
Jason

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Mahmoud Soliman [1]<mahmoudelkot.gmail.com>wr
ote:

  Dear guys,
  I am running MD simulation for an enzyme in a water box. Normally, during
  heating and equilibration of the system I impose some restraints on some
  residues and I use NVT during that. But in production, I do not put any
  restraints and I use NPT. Actually, I learn that from amber tutorials but
  see some papers adopting NVT during the production phase... So can you
guys
  provide me with your experience about merits/drawbacks of both protocols
  (NVT and NPT)...much appreciated!
  Best wishes
  Mahmoud

  Mahmoud E. Soliman

  Computational Chemistry & Modeling (PhD)

  Department of Chemistry

  University of Bath

  Bath

  BA2 7AY

  United Kingdom

  [1][2]http://people.bath.ac.uk/mess20/

  [2][3]http://www.bath.ac.uk/person/812559

  Mahmoud E. Soliman

  Lecturer of pharmaceutical organic chemistry

  Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry Dept.

  Faculty of pharmacy

  Zagazig University

  Zagazig