[AMBER] problem with analyzing trajectaries

From: bharat lakhani <lakhbharat.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:11:32 +0530

Hi,

I have run a 50 ns MD on DNA divided into 1 ns intervals. I looked at
the RMSD using two methods: First, in my ptraj input file I trajin
each individual .trj file, i.e.:

trajin X3_md.1.trj 1 500 10
trajin X3_md.2.trj 1 500 10
trajin X3_md.3.trj 1 500 10
trajin X3_md.4.trj 1 500 10
[.....etc]

center :1-12 origin mass
image origin center familiar

center :13-24 origin mass
image origin center familiar

center :1-24 origin mass
image origin center familiar

# Strip the water and chloride ions
strip :WAT
strip :Na+
strip :Cl-

rms first out X1_50ns_rms.dat .N,CA,C mass

Using this method, the RMSD appears normal (~2-5 A).
However, the analysis program I wish to use requires me to combine all
my trajectories into one file. For this I created a combination .trj
file. However, when I look at the RMSD vs. time of the combi file, it
comes out around 8 Angstroms and there are several spikes at around
25ns. When I look at the trajectory in VMD, the two strands split
apart spontaneously at these spikes. So, there must be a problem with
the way I am combining the trajectory files. Here is my ptraj.in file:

trajin X3_md.1.trj 1 500 10
trajin X3_md.2.trj 1 500 10
trajin X3_md.3.trj 1 500 10
trajin X3_md.4.trj 1 500 10