Re: [AMBER] AmberTools 1.4 parallel programs

From: Martin M. Ossowski <Martin.Ossowski.rice.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:23:52 -0600

Hi Jason and All,

I am even more confused now since if the program is linked statically
it should not matter what its name or the libraries' it has been
linked against is.

But perhaps I did not explain well what I was proposing:
I am installing AmberTools systemwide and different users may want
either serial or parallel versions of nab. In fact the manual says
that "Once you have some level of comfort and experience with the
single-CPU version, you can enable parallel execution..." so it is
prudent to have both versions on the system.
So I am wondering whether I can:
1) Configure the parallel version (./configure -mpi), make, and install
2) In the bin directory rename *binaries* nab and nab2c to nab.MPI and
nab2c.MPI
3) Configure the serial version (./configure), make, and install -
this will ad serial nab and nab2c to the bin directory resulting in
having both serial and parallel versions of nab and nab2c.

What is "suspicious" is that the developers have not already provided
this mechanism like they have for ptraj?

-
Thanks,
-Martin.

--
Martin M. Ossowski, PhD
Research Computing Support Group,IT - MS119