Re: [AMBER] PATH/evironment problem on Mac OS X

From: Gustaf Olsson <gustaf.olsson.lnu.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:40:16 +0100

Thank you SO much Ben!

By running:

        cd /usr/local/amber11/test && ./test_amber_serial.sh

as superuser, the tests begun and are rolling as we "speak". What I cannot wrap my head around is how echo and evn | grep..... both returns all the right info, but it still does not work?

I'm going to be forced to try running:

        cd $AMBERHOME/test && ./test_amber_serial.sh

Just to se if that can circumvent this problem. I just cannot see the problem, cd $AMBERHOME/test brings me to the exact same location as cd /usr/local/amber11/test

Login shell in mac is by default bash, it says so on the window bar at the top. But as far as I have been able to figure, Mac has its own version of bash since running "bash" changes the prompt from VCN736:~ guolaa$ to bash-3.2$.

Based on this I have made some assumptions, see under root (/etc) there are two "global" profile files, one called profile and one called bashrc. Of these two, profile has priority.

In you user account ($HOME), you can just create .profile, .bashrc, .cshrc, and so on... These are read at terminal startup and at shell-change, but .profile has priority in bash over .bashrc and is read at startup of terminal. So for all my software I set environment and PATH variables in .profile in my $HOME. It has always worked perfectly, except for tests and bugfix with AMBER.

But thanks to you I can finally gets the job done

Best regards
// Gustaf