Re: [AMBER] Running 606580 atoms system on Kraken

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:56:34 +0100

Is there a particular reason why you set cut to 40 ?

That is huge, and probably completely undeeded

Try cut 9 or 10 and see if this works

If it doesm then it is a memory allocation, trying to setup enough space
for a huge number of residues.

On 1/11/11 8:52 PM, Hector Chang wrote:
> Dear Amber Users,
>
> Please I want to ask about my molecular dynamics run in AMBER. I'm running a
>
> production run under constant pressure (NPT), but my simulation gets canceled or
>
> crashed after few seconds of running. My system contains around 600,000 atoms in
>
> explicit solvent. I have tried "sander.MPI" and ''pmemd", and both gave me the
>
> same problem. I ran the minimization and constant volume (NVT) where everything
>
> is fine, but once I get to run NPT the system is canceled or crashed.
>

> If it helps, this is my input file:
>
> &cntrl
>
> imin = 0, irest = 1, ntx = 7,
>
> ntb = 2, pres0 = 1.0, ntp = 1,
>
> taup = 2.0,
>
> cut = 40.0, ntr = 1,
>
> ntc = 2, ntf = 2,
>
> tempi = 300.0, temp0 = 300.0,
>
> ntt = 3, gamma_ln = 1.0,
> nstlim = 50000, dt = 0.002, ig = -1,
>
> ntpr = 100, ntwx = 100, ntwr = 100
>
> /
>
> Keep Struct fixed with weak restraints
> 10.0
> ATOMS 986 20185
> END
> END
>
> The following report is from amber expert in Teragrid:
>

> I've investigated this issue with Amber11. I've been unable to correct the
>
> issue, although reproductions of the error are bountiful. All the segmentation
>
> faults occur with the following stack trace.

> #0 0x00000000006602d5 in free ()
>
> (gdb) bt
>
> #0 0x00000000006602d5 in free ()
>
> #1 0x000000000049d972 in mol_list_mod_setup_molecule_lists_ () at
>
> ./mol_list.f90:224
>
> #2 0x00000000004e3abd in pme_alltasks_setup_mod_pme_alltasks_setup_ () at
>
> ./pme_alltasks_setup.f90:126
>
> #3 0x00000000004ca4ce in pmemd () at ./pmemd.f90:129
>
> #4 0x0000000000400330 in main ()
>

> This is definitely a memory allocation or freeing issue within the code. These
>
> routines are the initial setup routines after all the input data is read and
>
> broadcast to all processes. These routines build module lists which is
>
> dependent on the number of atoms involved in the calculation. It is possible
>
> that there are too many atoms.
>

> However, I ran a benchmark case (Cellulose NPT) which includes 408609 atoms.
>
> This is less than what the user is trying to run (606580 atoms); however, it is
>
> not that far off. This benchmark ran successfully. I also ran an altered
>
> version of this benchmark to closely resemble this users run (via options in the
>
> input file). No option in the input file seems to be causing this problem
>
> since this run was successful.
>

> I tried running the code at various core counts 12 to 120. All runs reproduce
>
> the segmentation fault.
>
> I tried running the code using 1 core per socket. All runs reproduce the
>
> segmentation fault.
>

> I applied all known bugfixes to the code. The runs using this code still
>
> reproduce the segmentation fault.

> [...]

                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                              Associate Professor
                Quantum Theory Project, Department of Chemistry
                            University of Florida
   Senior Editor. Journal of Physical Chemistry.
on Sabbatical in Barcelona until August 2011.
Email roitberg.ufl.edu