Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA.py.MPI - Output discrepancies

From: George Tzotzos <gtzotzos.me.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 13:28:12 +0100

Jason many thanks for this. Answers my questions.

Going through the output files and the Amber11 manual, I noticed that I had NOT set PBradii to mbondi2.

How critical is this?

Can I prepare de novo my prmtop files setting PBradii to mbondi2 and then re-run MMPBSA.py using the new topology files on the trajectories generated from the topology files without mbondi2 set?

All the best

George

On Jan 4, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Jason Swails wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> George
>> ==========================
>>
>> Per-residue GB and PB decomposition
>> &general
>> endframe=50, verbose=1,
>> /
>> &gb
>> igb=5, saltcon=0.100,
>> /
>> &pb
>> istrng=0.100,
>> /
>> &decomp
>> idecomp=1,
>> dec_verbose=1,
>> /
>> ===========================
>>
>> Input file for running PB and GB
>> &general
>> endframe=50, verbose=1,
>> # entropy=1,
>> /
>> &gb
>> igb=2, saltcon=0.100
>> /
>> &pb
>> istrng=0.100,
>> /
>> ============================
>> On Jan 4, 2011, at 7:59 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> My comments are below.

>> protein-ligand.

>> results
>>>>

>>> Is this the difference between parallel and serial or the difference
>> between
>>> decomp turned on and decomp turned off? Also, what individual terms
>> differ
>>> between the two calculations? It could be that the algorithm used to
>>> compute the surface area between the two methods is slightly different.

>> ligand

>>> As far as I know, the surface area is non-decomposable for PBSA, so this
>> is
>>> not really a factor. Hence, you get similar/identical results.

>> Generalized

>>> This is not unusual, and reflects the method's shortcomings when
>> calculating
>>> absolute binding free energies. A better comparison to make would be the
>>> DELTA Delta G between different receptors with the same ligand or
>> different
>>> ligands with the same receptor.

>>> Yes. There should be a comment in the output file saying exactly that.
>> On
>>> the tutorial website, the last line of text in the output file says
>>>
>>> NOTE: All entropy results have units kcal/mol. (Temperature has already
>> been
>>> multiplied in as 300. K)

>>> No. The entropy is calculated from statistical mechanical equations
>> using
>>> the partition function assuming that the translational, rotational, and
>>> vibrational parts of the Hamiltonian are separable. This introduces a
>>> mass-dependence of the translational entropy.
>>>
>>> Note that this email was begun in response to your first message, so my
>>> later email will address future questions.

>>> 352-392-4032