Re: [AMBER] REMD replicas blowing up

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:04:31 +0100

Dear Gabor

Have you tried plotting the distribution of potential energies for the
replicas, before they blow up ? They should be basically identical to
the ones you get from the individual MD runs.

Adrian

On 11/30/10 2:59 PM, Carlos Simmerling wrote:
> using the same structures at the start can be dangerous since they are not
> equilibrated at the right T.
> this can cause weird things in exchanges. i suggest using the restart files
> from the runs you just described and initiating remd from that.
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Janzsó Gábor<janzso.brc.hu> wrote:
>
>> Dear Dr. Simmerling,
>>
>> The replicas have the same input coordinate file, namely the restart file
>> from the NPT run I used for relaxing the system. So there is no way the box
>> sizes could be different.
>>
>> Following your advice, I've run a 5 ns md simulation at each temperature,
>> and all of the simulations finished correctly. I have created the energy
>> distribution histogram of each run as you suggested, and there is sufficient
>> overlap between the potential energies (as far as I can tell). I have
>> enclosed an image of the histograms.
>> Since the md runs never crashed, I think the problem would be something
>> regarding the replica exchange step.
>> Any advice what should be the next thing I look into?
>>
>> Thank you in forward,
>>

>> Gabor Janzso
>>
>> Quoting "Carlos Simmerling"<carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>:
>>
>> it's still unclear to me if the initial structures have different volumes
>>> or
>>> not- if yes, this can make exchanges very difficult.
>>>

>>> I suggest running the identical simulation without remd- meaning set up
>>> all
>>> of the repliacs and temepratures, but do not use remd. check to make sure
>>> it
>>> is still stable (and verify that REMD is the problem). from this, extract
>>> potential energies from the output files and histogram all of them to
>>> ensure
>>> that there is overlap between neighbors.
>>>

>>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Janzsó Gábor<janzso.brc.hu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Mr. Simmerling,

>> Gabor P. Janzso
>> PhD student
>> Institute of Biophysics,
>> Biological Research Centre
>> Hungarian Academy of Sciences Szeged
>> H-6726, Szeged, Temesvári krt. 62.
>>
>> Janzsó Gábor Péter
>> PhD hallgató
>> Szegedi Biológiai Központ,
>> Biofizikai Intézet
>> 6726, Szeged, Temesvári krt. 62.

                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                              Associate Professor
                Quantum Theory Project, Department of Chemistry
                            University of Florida
   Senior Editor. Journal of Physical Chemistry.
on Sabbatical in Barcelona until August 2011.
Email roitberg.ufl.edu