Re: [AMBER] Amber 11 installation problems

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:17:28 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Linus Johannissen <
Linus.Johannissen.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks Tru, but I did try both with and without first installing AmberTools
> (sorry I forgot to mention that!), and I get the same error when I run
> "make" in $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/.
>
> This time I started over with a clean slate, trying just to install
> AmberTools. One thing I find perplexing is that even though I run
> "./configure intel", the first few lines when running make seem to suggest
> it's using f90, although later on it's using icc and ifort (no idea if this
> is normal):

It's not *using* f90. The message says "making install in f90", and it then
moves into an "f90" directory where it runs "make install". This is a
netcdf issue, so it may help to look at the netcdf build log, because
something is going wrong.

I'm going to side with Dave Case on this one. What you should do before you
install Amber is *unload* your Gaussian module, since it's plopping an
"install" into your path that I'm guessing is mucking up the install
process. I have never seen an error in the NETCDF build (which is where
this is occurring) before, and I've installed it on a lot of different
systems/clusters.

As long as you see the "phrase": /opt/software/gaussian/d02/g03/bsd/install
-c -m 644

then the compilation process is using the *wrong* install which is likely
breaking stuff.

As a note to general users: Do NOT source Gaussian files that set up your
environment in normal shell environments. ONLY source them in PBS scripts
that specifically run Gaussian. The reason is that their profile scripts
that set up environment variables are effectively poison to every other
package that uses these variables (notably LD_LIBRARY_PATH). These scripts
set up the environment variables properly for Gaussian, so g03/g09 will run
properly, but it could easily break other packages (this drove me insane for
some time before I figured it out). Therefore, source the Gaussian scripts
and/or load the Gaussian module only in sessions that you are actually
running a Gaussian job.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,