Re: [AMBER] Infinite covalently bonded crystals

From: David A. Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:28:40 -0400

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010, Andrew Jewett wrote:

> Is sander able to simulate covalently bonded periodic infinite crystals?
> I worry that sander will get confused whenever a covalent bond crosses
> the periodic boundary.

You are correct: the Amber codes are not designed for periodic infinite
crystals: specifically, bonds cannot cross periodic boundaries. Also, not
that unit cell dimensions must be more than twice the non-bonded cutoff, so
small unit cells are not feasible.

[The first problem, with bonds, is probably not all that hard to fix. But one
would still have the need for a large unit cell, and that would require major
surgery to change.]

....dac