Re: [AMBER] interaction_energy

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:38:14 -0400

Hello,

This specific problem I can see a possible solution, though please someone
step in if I'm missing something obvious. You can decompose the energy of
this system into 5 components:
E tot = E int,solvent + E int,solute + E nb,solute->solute + E
nb,solvent->solvent + E nb,solute->solvent, where the terms are the internal
potential terms (angle, bond, dihedral, 1-4s) for the solvent and solute,
and then the non-bonded terms between solute atoms, nonbonded terms between
solute atoms, and then, what you're finally looking for, the nonbonded terms
between the solute and solvent (I don't think I'm missing any terms here).
What you have to do is find a way of isolating the last term. The total
energy is going to be the sum of all, so if you can isolate the first 4 and
subtract them from the total, you'll get what you're looking for.

What you'll need: leap to create prmtop files, ptraj and the strip command,
sander with the imin=5 option. These are described thoroughly in the
manual, and I will not detail further how to implement this plan.

1. Strip the solvent from the original trajectory file and create a matching
prmtop file (check that they actually match with a visualization program!)
2. Strip the solute from the original trajectory file and create a matching
prmtop file (again, check that they match)
3. Use sander and imin=5 (with maxcyc=1 to just extract energies) to get the
energy for each frame for each trajectory. The stripped solvent should give
you E int,solute + E int,solute->solute. The stripped solute trajectory
should give you E int,solvent + E int,solvent->solvent. Thus, if you
subtract these 2 values from the total, all you'll be left with is E
nb,solute->solvent.

This may be tedious to implement, but it is relatively straightforward and
should help increase your familiarity with amber and its various tools.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida