Re: [AMBER] question on antechamber parametrization / unable to find mopac charges error

From: Andrew Voronkov <drugdesign.yandex.ru>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:23:01 +0400

Dear Andrew (I'am answering to myself, but maybe this can be useful),
as you can see from this thread:
http://archive.ambermd.org/200911/0187.html
such an error might be a result from non-zero cahrge of the molecule.
If the molecule is charged in the system of interest, please use the -nc flag with antechamber as in the example below:

antechamber -i gdp3.pdb -fi pdb -nc -3 -o gdp3.mol2 -fo mol2 -c bcc -s 2

Please notice that (page 83, AmberTools 11 manual) "Also note that this procedure
depends heavily upon the initial 3D structure: it must have all hydrogens present, and the
charges computed are those for the conformation you provide, after minimization in the AM1
Hamiltonian. In fact, this means that you must have an reasonable all-atom initial model of
your molecule (so that it can be minimized with the AM1 Hamiltonian), and you may need to
specify what its net charge is, especially for those molecular formats that have no net charge
information, and no partial charges or the partial charges in the input are not correct. The
system should really be a closed-shell molecule, since all of the atom-typing rules assume this
implicitly."

Don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Sincerely yours,
Andrew