Re: [AMBER] MMPBSA protein-protein interaction

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:49:05 -0400

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Lars Skjærven
<lars.skjarven.biomed.uib.no>wrote:

> Hi, and thanks for tips!
> The calculations are performed without the entropy contributions yes. The
> point was however to get a hint wether ligand binding to each of the two
> proteins strengthens or weakens the protein-protein interaction. Thus, the
> numbers in it self are not that interesting. I was more hoping that the
> relative change could be interpreted to aid in this question.
>
> It seems like an infinite cut-off value is common in MMPBSA calculations.
> I'm doing this on a protein ~3000 residues. Thus the GB calculations with
> infinite cut off are quite heavy. Would I be in trouble if I reduced the
> cut-off, to around 12Å?

Electrostatic energies scale as 1/r, as opposed to van der waals which scale
as 1/r^6 (a much much quicker rate of dying off). For periodic simulations,
the cutoff only affects VDW energies, as PME is used to calculate the
long-range EEL effects, so a small cutoff like 8Å is sufficient. However,
for implicit solvent, the cutoff also applies to EEL energies, so more care
has to be applied here. Note that the harmonic series does not converge, so
that should indicate that the effects of long-range EEL energies could be
quite significant if the cutoff is small enough to leave a large number of
pairs omitted.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,